With the beginning of summer just around the corner, it is important for runners to stay hydrated and healthy. Here are some quick tips on how to survive summer as a runner:
1. Calculate your daily water intake. Everyone's water intake varies based on their weight. Everyday you need to drink a half an ounce to an ounce of water for every pound you weigh. So, if you weigh 150 pounds, you need to be drinking 75-150 ounces everyday.
2. Check your hydration level everyday midday. One of of the best ways to check is by the color of your urine. The clearer your urine is, the more hydrated you are.
3. Eat fruits and and vegetables. There's a reason why when you were younger you weren't allowed to leave the table without these off of your plate. Not only are fruits and vegetables a healthy food to snack on throughout the day, most are made up of 80% water, keeping your body hydrated!
4. Make sure you drink water with every meal and snack, sometimes your body confuses thirst with hunger.
5. On hot days, we tend to lose a lot of vitamins and minerals due to sweating. Keep hydrated with drinks that contain electrolytes to fuel your body back up!